Saturday, April 7, 2012

Lamb is Go! Flounder is fail.

Conquering my fear of cooking lamb I finally made lamb kabobs last weekend and they turned out great.  I've always been leery of paying for lamb for fear I'd ruin it, but a recent recipe in the Washington Post encouraged some culinary experimentation.  The lamb marinated for several hours in a little lime juice, chopped onion, garlic, cilantro and salt and pepper before I skewered it with cherry tomatoes, chunks of onion and a 1/4 of a jalapeno at the end of the skewer. Still in fear I'd manage to make tire rubber out of the lamb I threw together a quick tzatziki sauce with Greek yogurt, cucumber, and dill.  The lamb turned out tasty by itself, or paired with the veggies/sauce.  Hooray for lamb success!

In addition to this whole new lamb experience I wanted to take over the grilling duties and must say, did pretty well.  Jonathan was an excellent fire starter and helpful with coal amounts but I shooed him away so that I could figure out this grilling thing on my own.  No food caught on fire, and I managed to get a nice sear but not dry out the meat. A good start to future summer grilling indeed. Just maybe I'll learn how not to overcook a burger, which just like cooking potato gratins successfully, continues to allude my cooking abilities.

Despite last weekend's cooking success Monday night's dinner was a big ole flounder of failure.  No matter what you're uninformed meat counter guy/gal tells you, flounder does not make for good fried fish.  I even asked about it being more of a moist fish as some do better with frying than others and was told, it would be just fine.  FAIL.  I crusted the fish with crushed Thai-chili-lime seasoned cashews and after one round of frying then baking, ended up with a heap of crumbled, non-recognizable fish/cashew hash.  Yech!

You win some and you loose some I suppose.  Next stop, Cooks Country recipe book.  Watch out fanned potatoes here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment