Friday, April 20, 2012

Dear bathroom talkers...

Dear bathroom talkers,
    The bathroom is not a conference hall, meeting room, nor casual hallway.  When I make a trip to the restroom, I go there for a purpose, and random, ongoing chit chat is not on the itinerary.  Now if we are both at the sink, yes, I consider that fair game and do not mind the shortest bit of chat, but again, only appropriate when both parties have vacated the stalls and are standing at the sink. Or, if we were mid chat upon entering, again ok, but all discussions end at the click of the stall lock.   If have entered a stall and locked the door this is the indicator that 1. I do not want to chat with you while you do your business, and 2. should you be lingering in the restroom, I also do not want to have a conversation. You should continue about your business by leaving the restroom.

    If I have seen you pass by, headed for a stall while I'm washing my hands at the sink, I do not want to strike up conversation.  Casual hello, good bye, fine.  Don't lose focus on the purpose of your trip to the restroom, I don't care how interested you are in your 1980s movie facts, I don't want to be a part of your restroom experience.

   On a final note of appropriate restroom etiquette, stopping a person who is obviously on their way to a bathroom stall, while you are exiting, is uncouth. I do not make trips to the restroom just for kicks, there is a purpose to my trek and its not to discuss what's on your mind.  That's what phone calls and email are for. 

Thank you, and good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment