Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Adventures (pictures to come soon)

This past Friday was my last day at my previous job.  I am thankful for the personal and professional opportunities it provided since Jonathan and I were able to move to Arizona with employment in place and, as time went on, buy a house.  But the time has come to try something new.  I am now employed with another firm, and am very excited for the challenges and opportunities it brings.

Sunday afternoon, I boarded a South West flight flying direct to Kansas City, MO.  South West officially gained my loyalty when about half way through the flight I was handed Plane Crackers (clever pun intended since they were indeed some mighty plain, plane shaped crackers) and, honey roasted peanuts!  Its been a good decade since I've been given honey roasted peanuts and you better believed each and every peanut was a delight.  As the flight neared Kansas City I looked out the window to view fields, rather barren, and sandy in appearance. Strange that they'd be sandy, but at the moment it seemed perfectly reasonable. Then the passenger next to me jolted me from my moment of stupidity when she commented on the melting snow. Duh, snow, not sand. 

Nearly every place that I've traveled, or lived, I've run into my fare share of New Jersians, each encounter sparking a renewed delight in my experience in the Garden State. Just to be extra clear, I do not and will NEVER claim to be a Jersey girl, but 6 years in the Garden State has undoubtedly made a major impact on my life and enables me to claim some Jersey status.  As I waited at the hotel bar for my pre-ordered salad I met my first Kansas City buddy.  My Rutgers hoodie sparked the conversation with the bar tender who was not only born and bred in Jersey, but swam competitively and had kids who are now competing in swimming in high school.  Honestly what are the odds.  We chatted for some time before he very generously provided me with his business card complete with his home phone and email,as well as resturant recommendations, and the comment, complete with New Jersey accent, that should I "need anything, anything at all, during my stay, to let him know".  His kindness and generosity maked me proud to have spent 6 years in New Jersey.

During the day my time is spent learning the ins-and-outs of the new firm.  Rather dry for everyone but me, so I'll spare you the details, except the fact that everyone I've met has been great.  Friendly, informative and best of all, great senses of humor.  I've spent the evenings touring the shops and restaurants in the "historic" Kansas City Plaza, and despite what movie or tv characters try to sell, dinning alone is not my favorite pass time.  Sure I'm comfortable enough, but I do so miss the company of my husband.

I never would have thought Kansas City would have fog issues, but this morning there it was, looming in front of my hotel room.  My morning started off a little rough with a later than desired wake up time, gym farters and a chaotic ordering of a bowl of cereal.  Honestly when a gym is a 6x10 room packed to the gills with equipment and 5 sweaty exercisers the casual passing of gas is not appreciated.

The fog burned off by the time I packed into a car with 6 Network guys and headed to Oklahoma Joe's renown KC BBQ.  Not only is the food at Oklahoma Joe's well known in the area but it is a restaurant that acclaimed chef/world food traveler Anthony Bourdain has listed on his 13-places-to-visit-before-you-die list.  I opted for the Carolina sandwich which consisted of pulled pork topped with cole-slaw and a side of seasoned fries larger than my head. The meat, flavored by a delicious dry rub had great texture and flavor.  The sauce that was provided on the side was equally good, but not needed since the meat was so juicy and well prepared.  The slaw was a little lack luster but made a good addition to the pork's flavor.  The fries, though I could not eat many, were equally delectable.  I honestly can't say how I continued to function for the remainder of the day after eating so much, but somehow I made it through.  After work I played tourist, wandering about the Plaza with my camera, and finished the day enjoying a frosty barley soda from a local brewery, the Boulevard Brewery.


3 days down, 1 and a half to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment