Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Yuppie Shame

Tonight's dinner menu included salmon, rice, spinach and of course an appetizer of bacon wrapped dates. So like a good little cook, after work I went to my local Safeway, the whole time desperately fighting the urge to go to Whole Foods, to pick up a fresh salmon fillet. After a few seconds of checking out the single salmon fillet left in the seafood case I decided its never a good thing when seafood is being sold at a clearance rate of half off.

Back in my car I headed to a Safeway I'd seen in a ritzier part of town. A part of town that has a higher ratio of Lexus' and BMWs than beater trucks and Civics. Yes, I can be a judgmental bastard. Even the outside had an appeal that made smile on the inside, this was going to be a good grocery trip.

Here comes the yuppie shame.

This Safeway is the kind of place that makes me want to get a second job. The fresh meat and seafood displays made my mouth water. I longed to throw a dinner party, who cares if we don't have friends yet. The isles were just slightly larger, more spacious, and better lit than our local Safeway. The coup de gras wasn't the amazing wine/liquor section, nor the beautiful bakery and over priced bins, but the nut bar. The nut bar was a doughnut shaped glass enclosure of shear nut glory. Surely during the day a nut expert would wait in the nut bar to serve your every gourmet nut need. Never have I ever seen such a thing. I'm not the biggest fan of nuts, but the sight of it made me want to buy some just to have the nut bar purchasing experience. It took all my will power not to stop and stare for too long. Too hard of a stare would surely signal that I wasn't from around these parts.

Yeah I admit, its strange to have such strong feelings for a Safeway, but for all those who do the weekly shopping, I'm willing to bet you understand the experience. This is a kind of place that makes you re-prioritize your budget. Should I feel guilty for being so materialistic, probably, but did I enjoy the fresher tasting salmon, baked goods and bin treats that I gathered... hell yes I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment