Tuesday, February 28, 2012

King Cake

While we didn't celebrate Mardi Gras this year, we did receive our annual festive treat, an always delicious king cake sent to us by the very generous Mrs. Carolyn Hupp.  This cake accentuates my weak will power but delights my taste buds, an evil temptress indeed.  One of the traditions of the Gulf Coast King Cake, starting back in the 1950's is to include a small plastic baby trinket in the cake.  In some traditions the person who finds the trinket is declared king or queen for the day, which would be my personal favorite, or they will have a baby soon, lets just move past that one, or in some situations, they're responsible for bringing the cake the following year. 

I patiently waited for Jonathan to get home before I cut into the confection but soon grew frustrated when my knife wouldn't cut through my first slice. I cut the other side of my piece and started to tug and quickly found out what was hindering my knife. Oh my, with a little more force I would have chopped the baby!!  I found the little legs sticking out quite humorous but admittedly a little creepy.  Something about flesh colored plastic babies just gives me the heebie jeebies. 

I will not discuss how long it took Jonathan and I to finish the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment