Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Last day of Physical Therapy!

Friday May 6th I was officially discharged from physical therapy.  I've been going three times a week, then down to two times a week, then down to once a week since the week after Thanksgiving. I started out with a pathetic range of motion (15 degrees was the lowest range) and with the help of my physical terrorist, excuse me, therapist, I'm close to full range of motion.  I still have limits, such as the inability to hold my arm straight up, it tends to lean at a 7degree angle, and notice strange moments of inflexibility, such as when I lay on my back with my hands behind my head, my left arm lays flat on the ground while my right arm remains suspended about 4 inches up.  In addition to improved range of motion, I am pain free for the most part, am no longer limited in my daily routine and armed with exercises will continue to improve both flexibility and strengthening

However, having just expressed my delight in progress, on my last appointment I was given a new exercise which made me aware of a movement that I am too weak/tight to take on with much success.  Using a small medicine ball and an angled trampoline in front of me I'm suppose to hold my right arm at a right angle from my shoulder and toss the ball down/catch the ball maintaining that L shaped bend in my arm.  Kind of like if you moved Barbie's arm to shoulder level then waved to Ken in a forward, backward instead of side to side motion.  The movement isn't a common movement for anyone really, but given my disrepair it was/is a bit of a struggle.  I have to fight the urge to be disappointed in my lack of strength and remember that I'm still in the process of recovery.  The PT assistant working with me was very new, not one I'd worked with before and when I expressed my surprise at the difficulty I was having and the lack of ability to properly make the movement she just kept yammering on about getting past the challenge.  Thanks honey.   I tuned her out since my effort required quite a bit of concentration and nearly, unintentionally, I swear, hit her head with a medicine ball as it came flying off the trampoline with a wicked right curve, way past my reach.

I really do appreciate all that my Physical Therapist has helped me with and the progress that's been made, but now comes the challenge of keeping up with my exercises.  The day I can throw the ball for Mr. Jackson without looking like a goober, flinging it with my wrist, will surely be the next benchmark in my progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment