Saturday, September 5, 2009

Survivor's shuffle

Last April I ran 10 mile run at 8:20 a mile. And yes, its darn near close to my most exciting achievement and I'm darn proud of my time and accomplishment. But now, a mere 5 months later, I'm survivor shuffling at mile 4 of a 6 mile run at darn near close to 10 minute miles. What the hell?!

Sure Phoenix is about 30 degrees hotter and about 1000 ft higher above altitude than DC, but seriously this is upsetting. Its taken me 3 attempts to get up to 6 miles with today's effort proving the most successful with only two stretching stops and no walking. The salt in the wound being the usual passer-by is either a scantily clad, six pack bearing skinny woman, or a slender muscular dude. Apparently average looking runners don't venture out in the wee hours of the mornings on a Saturday.

I'll never be one of those scantily clad women (cookies taste too good to give up), but one day, hopefully in the near future, I can actually run a decent 6 mile run sans pebble rustling shuffles and stretching breaks. Go, fight, win, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment