Monday, July 29, 2013

Fleeting romanticism

This past Thursday morning contained a variety of what I hope to be rare situations. As I walked out the door for my run I noticed a pittance of sprinkles and was quick to dismiss their nuisance. However, with about 2 1/2 miles until my run's completion I realized how quickly the novelty of running in the rain in the desert wares off. Warm rain in 85+ weather is far from romantic. I tried to focus on my stride, but was quite distracted by the amalgamation of rain and sweat imposing on my refreshing spearmint gum. My steadily accumulating annoyance compounded as the rain mixed with sweat, finding a convenient residence in my ever burning eyes.

Once home I dried off a bit and got in a little stretching before taking Jackson for his walk. By this time, the dark rain clouds appeared far enough in the distance that our walk would remain dry and uneventful. Silly me. Just prior to our halfway point moisture started to descend.  Sprinkles became, rain, became barbed tick-tacs, simultaneously pelting and soaking Jackson and myself as we walked back home. Trying to remain optimistic I smiled knowing that thanks to the rain, I'd be far less stinky by the time I arrived home, however, Jackson, the very dog who will damn near water-boards himself when playing with the water from the hose, appeared to be melting like a sugar cube with the ever increasing rainfall. As we turned the corner of our street the rain had decreased to sprinkles, and eventually ceased completely by the time we arrived at our doorstep.  With a little toweling off Jackson was back to his peppy self, and it was time for me to start my daily routine, or so I thought.

Throw in managing to set off our neighbor's house alarm while checking their mail and having to run home to get my phone, then back up the street barefoot to speak with the cop who had already shown up, and you've got one stellar start to the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment