Sunday, August 19, 2012

500 years?

Friday night we watched a random documentary on the narcissistic topic of "life extension". The focus being why, or rather how, some people live as long as they do and what actions can be taken to extend our lives.

Some interviewed attested their existence to strict repetitive routine, others beer, red meat and smoking, some to a an easy going cultural perspective and still others, God.   One perspective that Jonathan knew about, but was new to me, was the concept that the body essentially has a limit to caloric processing and once that limit is met, game over.  The interviewee and photos of its followers just looked hungry. This food lover, flavor and texture seeker sincerely questions if that is really living.  I see it similar to the Amish living this life for the next, but these hungry few are living the current meal in expectation of a 105th birthday. I just don't buy it.  The multitude of factors beyond my control quashed further contemplation of this theory as I gobbled down my fresh from the oven seven layer bar. 
     
A question posed throughout the movies was "if you could take a pill today that would allow you to live another 500 years, would you take it?".  My answer, absolutely not. What in the world would I do with this many years?  It would be incredibly vein to think I could fruitfully live that many lifetimes and be an above average contributor to society. Instead, I'd be a resource hog consuming way more than is naturally intended. I appreciated the perspectives of those confirming the concept that this life's finality is what drives us to some sort of purpose.  Everything has an expiration date, and so should we. Neither good nor bad, just fact.  Those beyond consumed with continued existence were involved in the world of cryogenic preservation.  For a mere $150,000 you too can remain frozen until... until, I don't know what.  What if you're unfrozen post apocalypse only to be enslaved, now that would be a cruel self imposed fate. 

 I cannot say for sure that my perspective, or answers to the questions posed will remain the same many years for now, however I'd like to hope I continue to live by the same basic principles I live by now sans expectation that it will increase my life span exponentially.  Love, laugh, respect others and for the most part do good for goodness sake.  A good mix of cynicism and sarcasm is healthy, and so is eating and drinking what makes you happy, as long as its varied and with a dash of moderation.  Do I want to enjoy my life, of course, but do I want to "enjoy" it for another 400+ years, no thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment