Saturday, June 2, 2012

Comicon part 2


Jonathan and I with R2D2


Add caption
On Sunday, day three of Comicon, my mom and I returned to the convention center for a Star Trek, The Next Generation discussion panel. The Next Generation series is celebrating their 25th anniversary this year, which is darn impressive if you ask this little Trekie. I've never been to one of these panels and wasn't sure what to expect, but found it both interesting and a little odd. Some of the actors were mighty full of themselves, and borderline rude, while others were very well rounded and thoughtful. There seemed to be a notable rift between some of the characters which was somewhat awkward, but again, it was fun to see the characters of the show I'd grown up watching. It was also interesting to hear some of the questions asked by fans. Again, I'm proud to admit that I'm a fan and certainly do know my Star Trek characters and series specifics however, when a tearful fan began their question with "you guys are a heroes to a lot of use..." I couldn't help but think, really?  Granted the ingenuity of the series and the positive lessons/moral campus it provides is to be applauded, but these people are actors, paid actors. After the last question was answered we shuffled out of the conference room with the hundreds of fellow attendees.

 
<>
Bad ass predator

    We didn't spend any additional time walking about the convention center on Sunday, mostly because I was a bit burnt out from the crowds. I admit, prior to actually attending, and even during the various circles about the convention center floor I was confident that I'd have an arsenal of clever things about the experience, but Comicon threw me a but if a curve ball.  The be-yourself-spirit, freedom to obsess on sci-fi and fantasy, and genuine costume pride, no matter how obscure, was pretty amazing.  In addition the friendly nature of most, if not all attendees we came across was very impressive.  Using the Star Trek panel as an example, even with hundreds of attendees all funneling through 3 open doors back into the main hall, each person's personal space was respected.  No pushing nor shoving in this crowed and despite the opportunity for elbows and rudeness, we all simply moved about in our personal space bubbles, respecting one another and safely traversing among fellow nerds, and various staircases and escalators.

Not sure what this guy was, but his costume was awesome!

Perhaps its the nature of the Comicon beast that since attendees have paid for their ticket and are attending on their own accord its become somewhat of a safe zone.  Honestly, which individual would be stupid enough to pick on a fellow attendee for their nerdiness or their costume, seeing that they too are in attendance!  Jonathan, my mom and myself all very much enjoyed our Comicon experience and I personally look forward to attending next year's event, hopefully with some sort of entertaining costume.  Can't say I'll sign up for all three days again, but only time will tell.
 
Retirement isn't always kind.

To the right, you can check out more pictures from the event.  Most are thanks to my mom's appreciation of the plethora of costumes.  Thanks mom!

Mom with the DOZD
Department of Zombie Destruction

                        
The beautiful irony of this poster is that
across the way was a "Jesus Loves Gamers" both.












No comments:

Post a Comment