Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cooking with fire - or gas burners...

Seeing that I cook about 5 or 6 out of 7 nights a week I think it might be appropriate to start adding in some of my successful as well as failed culinary undertakings. Nothing too "foodie bloggie" just attempts, and results and my favorite (Jonathan's arch nemesis) recipe modifications :)

So far this year I've been cooking from Cooking Light and been having pretty good results. First item of the year was a Thai Coconut Chicken soup which turned out quite delicious. I cut out the fungi since neither of us eat it and got lazy on shredding the chicken, instead choosing to chop it into small chunks. We both agreed that the texture of shredded chicken would have been better, and perhaps an addition of a white fish would be a nice extra, but again, great flavor overall. The second chicken dish I made that week was chicken enchiladas in a green sauce. Actually followed the recipe pretty well this time and it was again a other tasty meal. Admittedly the tortillas lost some consistency and it became a little homogonous.  I didn't mind the texture but Jonathan would have preferred that the tortillas were a little more identifiable. Both are guaranteed repeats.

Moving on to desserts, this past Sunday I made Cooking Light's Grapefruit Pound Cake, and it was, key word "was", fantastic!  The first minor modification was the addition of a tablespoon of sour cream since we only had fat free milk and the recipe called for 2%.  Not sure it even works that way but what doesn't a dab of sour cream make better/  The second and final modification was made to the glaze.  After mixing the fresh squeezed, then reduced and concentrated, grapefruit juice with the powdered sugar, the icing was way too sour.  To compensate I added about 1/2 of an ounce of cream cheese and about an additional 1/3 cup of powdered sugar.  The frosting was still a little tart but it had a pleasant grapefruit flavor and was a perfect pairing with the pound cake.  As you can see I didn't spend too much time on the photography, but even these simple pictures make me want another piece.
                   



No comments:

Post a Comment