Wednesday, October 28, 2009

U2

I’m ashamed that its taken me this long, but last Tuesday, October 20, 2009, we had the honor of seeing the Black Eye Peas open for the one and only U2 at Cardinal’s Stadium. Somehow we had the good fortune to get into the “inner circle” which is standing room only between the center stage and the second outer ring. Granted standing from about 5:30 until Midnight became torture on the lower back, the proximity was worth the pain. In addition to being close to both the inner and outer stages we were a little more than an arms reach away from Bono or The Edge when they would walk across the rotating, cross stage bridges. An awesome concert, on a lovely fall day in Arizona, at a stadium with a retractable roof...life is good.

The Black Eyed Peas started the night with a terrific opening act. They sounded great, were high energy, had entertaining random robot dancers, and put on an all around a good show. For many the highlight of the performance may have been Fergie’s gorgeous gams, and who could blame them. I haven’t changed teams or anything but they are damn near perfect if I don’t say so myself!

After a short break to clear out some equipment and the prepping of many a guitar and drum set, Billy Idol’s Major Tom, swooned across the massive speakers. The crowed went wild. I really can’t sum up the concert any other way than it was AWESOME, perhaps even cathartic. U2 put on an amazing show. They had a bit of mic feedback trouble for the first few songs, but despite the equipment hickup, Bono’s voice was beyond perfect, The Edge’s guitar playing was out of this world, Adam Clayton (Bass Guitar) was terrific and the one who started the band, Larry Mullen, Jr., was excellent on the drums.

The set list was as follows: Breathe, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Stand By Me, Stuck In A Moment, No Line On The Horizon, Elevation, In A Little While, Unknown Caller, Until the End of the World, The Unforgettable Fire, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo - It's Only Rock and Roll, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix), Sunday Bloody Sunday, MLK, Walk On - You'll Never Walk Alone
Encore(1): One, Amazing Grace, Where the Streets Have No Name
Encore (2): Ultraviolet, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender

I have to admit, I’ve never been much of a U2 follower, in fact I hadn’t even heard their new album before the concert, but this concert has changed my ways. For all those who ever get a chance to see U2, don’t pass it up. The set was exceptional, the music was fantastic and the performance was, possibly best described in language of the Garden State, Fan-f**king-tastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment